The Network Branded Prepaid Card Association (“NBPCA”) is the preeminent trade association open to all companies involved in delivering prepaid accounts, which are processed through a branded card network (American Express, Discover, Mastercard or Visa), to consumers, businesses and governments. Prepaid accounts are one of the fastest growing segments of the payments industry today with a very broad set of applications spanning government benefit disbursements, payroll, incentives, and healthcare as well as consumer loaded products such as general purpose reloadable cards and open loop gift cards. The NBPCA’s members include card issuers, program managers, payment card networks, card manufacturers, law firms and consultants supporting the industry. This multi-billion dollar sector drives financial inclusion and is at the forefront of financial innovation.
The President reports to the Board of Directors and will be responsible for running the day-to-day operations of the NBPCA with its headquarters based in the greater Washington, DC area. The President will work closely with the Board to craft the overall strategy and will consult with them on a regular basis to ensure the strategic vision is consistent with the views of the membership. The execution of this strategy and mission will be the responsibility of the President and she/he will responsible for securing the necessary resources to implement the organization’s strategic vision, plans and initiatives. The President will serve as the public face of the organization and will help promote membership in the NBPCA and look to foster strategic alliances. The President will also lead staff and a divergent base of members in the implementation of these goals. In addition, the individual will be responsible for the following:
Board and Strategic Direction
- With direction from the Board, set strategic goals and objectives of the organization (short, mid and long term).
- Organize and facilitate Board and Executive Committee (“ExCom”) meetings. Provide the ExCom and Board with regular reports summarizing key metrics related to goals.
- Facilitate work of NBPCA Board committees and arranges for support by other staff.
- Provide leadership to the NBPCA staff including acting as a trusted mentor to staff and providing opportunities for their continued development.
- Initiate, build and maintain relationships with consumer advocacy groups and others active in and/or aligned with the prepaid industry.
- Provide education and advocacy to government, media, consumer advocacy groups and law enforcement. Assist in implementation of GR strategy, as required.
- Speak/present at conferences and events. Respond to press inquiries and pursue media relations to optimize the public image and overall awareness of the prepaid industry. Write/edit articles, press releases, and Op-Eds.
- Develop and execute a marketing/branding strategy to ensure NBPCA is recognized as the voice for prepaid among policymakers and other key stakeholders in Washington, DC and other key areas.
Operations /Financial Management
- Staff management. Lead and direct day-to-day activities of employees, contractors and consultants.
- Support membership by increasing value proposition; ensure regular, targeted and relevant communications. Facilitate periodic new member orientation sessions, and webinar-format training and information sessions.
- Develop and manage the annual budget and annual revenue strategy, including expansion of membership or programs, and other revenue generating alternatives.
- Responsible for maintaining and being in compliance with all financial, payroll and tax records.
- 10+ years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility in financial services, payments preferred, especially knowledge in specific markets (e.g., B2C, G2C, B2B, underbanked, health, payroll, student, etc.)
- 5+ years of direct interaction with legislative and 5+ years of direct interaction with regulatory leadership and staff, including education and communication on topics seeking a shift in negative perceptions
- 5+ years of experience running a board of directors
- 5+ years of experience in working with media, including interviews in television, radio, print, and social media
- 5+ years of senior leadership at organization/association with diverse/divergent membership/constituencies
- 5+ year business experience (ideally including not-for-profit) in managing very tight budgets, raising funds across multiple revenue sources, including creating new sources – often in an environment with quickly evolving priorities and initiatives in response to government and market shifts
- Position will be based in Washington, DC or will be virtual with the ability to travel to Washington, DC on a regular basis and sometimes on short notice
- Ability to travel 25-35% of the time across the US to speak at industry or governmental conferences, and provide education/advocate to State and Federal legislators/regulators and consumer groups
If you are interested in the position, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Friday, April 28th in order to be considered.