Blackhawk Network Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: HAWK) is a leading prepaid and payments global company, which supports the program management and distribution of gift cards, prepaid telecom products and financial service products in a number of different retail, digital and incentive channels. Blackhawk’s digital platform supports prepaid across a network of digital distribution partners including retailers, financial service providers, and mobile wallets. Blackhawk’s Achievers Employee Success Platform™ enables social recognition, which dramatically increases employee engagement and drives business success. For more information, please visit www.blackhawknetwork.com or websites Achievers, Blackhawk Engagement Solutions, Cardpool, ExtraMeasures, Gift Card Lab, Gift Card Mall, GiftCards.com and OmniCard.
We are looking for a Principal Legal Counsel to work out of our Corporate headquarters in Pleasanton, CA. You will be a part of a large, global team, reporting directly into the VP of Legal. In this role, you will get involved with payments, processing, prepaid cards, regulatory advice, and network contracts and issues, encompassing both consumer facing and business-to-business prepaid products and services.
In this role, you will provide advice on a breadth of legal topics to our business teams. You will focus on the on the legal aspects of retail trade, payment, financial services and e-commerce. You will be responsible for monitoring applicable Federal and State regulations and local ordinances, and privacy requirements, to ensure compliance with various licensing and reporting requirements. Our ideal candidate will have experience within the payments industry and prepaid products, as well as governmental and self-regulatory frameworks relevant to payments, gift cards, and data security. In addition, if you are familiar with digital commerce, anti-money laundering, and intellectual property is also preferred. This position requires a lawyer with excellent interpersonal skills, an ability to manage changing priorities and a diverse range of legal duties, and a desire to innovate and grow. You will display a high level of independence, initiative, sound judgment and attention to detail, and will be collaborative and proactive.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Draft and negotiate a broad range of standard and non-standard commercial agreements related to the prepaid industry, including agreements with financial institutions, payments networks and processors in a fast paced environment
- Track relevant legislative developments and advise business leaders
- Interact with Risk and Compliance and communicate with business partners about regulatory obligations and risk management processes
- Advise project and business development teams
- Some travel may be required from time to time, primarily within the United States
- Other duties as assigned.
- JD degree, Active and in good standing in at least one state bar in the United States (preferably California).
- Between 8 – 15 years of relevant legal experience, with top tier law firm and in-house backgrounds preferred.
- Experience working in payments, financial services and highly regulated entities.
- Experience with consumer laws, e-commerce, and wallets a plus.
- Detail oriented and focus on accuracy.
- Significant experience negotiating and drafting complex contracts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
Apply on BH website: https://careers-blackhawknetwork.icims.com/jobs/6890/principal-legal-counsel/job